Kale is a great inexpensive twist on pesto! This recipe showcases our love of kale in the Sweet Farm fields. You can get your own share of produce through our U-Pick Club! Sign-up now for the Fall Season.
- Pull the kale leaves from the woody stems, and roughly chop into thin strips. Place the kale in a colander and rinse with cool water. Let the excess water drain away.
- Add the chopped and washed kale to a food processor or blender along with basil, pumpkin seeds, garlic, salt, lemon juice and zest.
- Pulse all ingredients a few times to chop ingredients.
- Slowly add olive oil while blending on low speed until your desired thickness.
- Taste the pesto and adjust salt or lemon juice to your liking.
- Mix into favorite pasta or zucchini noodles and top dress with a squeeze of fresh lemon and zest.
What you'll need:
- 1/4 lb kale, stems removed
- 3 oz basil, stems removed
- 1 oz of roasted pumpkin seeds (you may also use pine nuts, walnuts, or almonds)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- zest from 1/2 a lemon
- juice from 1 1/2 lemons
- 1/3-1/2 cup cold pressed olive oil (oil may be taiolored based on your preference)